Monday, January 08, 2007

Full Circle

Today I'm tired and my muscles are sore from a weekend full of packing and lifting bags and boxes, shifting various items of furniture around the flat and engaging in a cleaning frenzy, the kind of thorough cleaning I'm so good at avoiding usually.
TD moved out last night.

I know better than to prefix the verb in the last sentence with a "finally" or anything of the kind, because he has never quite forgiven me for this post in which I alluded to the complications of continuing to live together after breaking up last May.

The strange grey zone of living with somebody who's not your lodger, nor your "normal" flatmate for months is over now. The last few days I managed to snap into pragmatic hands-on-mode and even marvelled at the fact that the guest bedroom/study is now so much more spacious and after the walls have been painted will almost look like a new room altogether. Nothing better to take your mind off things than some good old (re-)decorating.
I know that I did the right thing essentially (although I do wish I could take back some of the things I said. And did) and I've got, as I have so often been reminded, what I wanted.

Yet I couldn't help feeling melancholic when I helped stack things in TD's new room in a hall of residences, the very one where he lived when we first met. Although the whole building has since been renovated and it's a different room on a different floor, it brought back memories of deliriously happy (early) days. I'd almost, but not quite, forgotten how many weekends I spent there, how often I trekked there to empty his postbox during the summer when he was at home in Istanbul, once making acquaintances with a cockroach (my first ever, eeeek!) in the entrance hall. It's the one place in Vienna where traffic is even louder than where I live, but the view from the window is infinitely more interesting.

[had to remove the picture that was here yesterday...]

It's "back to square one" in terms of accommodation for TD but I hope it'll be a good new start for both of us all the same.

1 Comments:

Blogger ka-ma said...

Uff, finally I can comment again. My dear hubby spent the whole vacation tinkering with our computer and manged to crash it countless times.
Sorry to hear about the sad final act of your relationship with TD, but at least the last thing is finished and you can really start a new chapter. Decorating is a great way to start, I agree! And it can give you the excuse for more shopping - I am decorating, you see, I need to buy many, many new things!

1/10/2007 09:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist