Monday, June 12, 2023

Slow Food. Eyeroll.

Allow me to rant about my latest pet peeve. Regardless of whether I decide to make a coffee stop at Starbucks on the way to work to grab a coffee to go or pay a very rare visit to a fast food restaurant, it has recently always turned out to be an exercise in patience (of which I have limited amounts). Why? Well, even if there is no line and you assume to be able to exit the establishment in question with your food or beverage of choice in no time, a minute or so into your wait a courier branded by his employer (Foodora et. al) shows up, soon followed by the next and it becomes obvious that the people behind the counter were busy preparing one massive order after the other so to the stupid people who choose to pick up something from the store themselves realisation dawns that they are actually at a slow food restaurant/coffeeshop now because they obviously have lower priority. When did it become a thing to order 10+ coffees for the entire office that will probably arrive lukewarm anyway rather than make those cappuccinos fresh at your workplace, provided you have a semi-decent coffee machine? I have pity for all those badly paid courier guys (it is usually men in Austria) and don't want to have them wait, but it really feels like a bad joke. Personally, I have never ordered delivery ever in my life, not even during the various lockdowns because a) cooking is my passion and it really  helps me to unwind from work and b) all that packaging and waste gives me too bad a conscience. Speaking of which, I always bring my reusable cup to Starbucks and only eat IN at fast food places, also because I like my food piping hot as opposed to almost cold and soggy. 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist