Monday, May 08, 2023

Privileged

The newspapers are full of survey results saying that a shocking amount of (employed) people in this country are close to the poverty line and cannot afford electricity and grocery bills any more due to inflation, etc. I am obviously not oblivious to rising costs, but in all honesty am mostly unaffected by them and can still afford to run two households, heat my apartment (Highflyer is in charge of utility bills in his house, I am for my flat), keep a car, buy all the things I want way beyond what I just need, go on vacation...you name it. I feel extremely privileged more than ever. I have always donated regularly to various charities, but in the past it was mostly for causes far away, say, people in a war zone or victims of some other catastrophe, but this literally hits home and makes you think whether the person sitting on the bus next to you on the way to work (!) might be struggling to make ends meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist