Monday, June 05, 2023

Books? Confessions of an "Ex-Reader"

 

If you wanted to make a board presentation about the correlation of the decline in the yearly total of books I read versus the advent of social media and overall improvement of smartphone features it would be pretty straightforward and easy to explain. Yep, in the past 10 years or so I have turned from an avid reader (of books) to a mobile-phone-zombie to give your average teenager a run for their money. Guilty as charged. I still do love to read which is clearly demonstrated every time I visit my parents and consume an average of 1 book per day. I have inherited the ability to speed-read from my Dad and we both go through books at lightening speed. Even as a child I consumed books so fast that my parents got dubious and asked me for summaries. Somehow, though, I lost my book-reading-mojo and spent an awful amount of time on YouTube, Instagram and the likes instead. I also have always had a mild magazine-addiction (not trashy magazines, actually decent and partly also "educational" ones) which also takes time away from book-reading. After years of reading books mainly in digital form, mostly on my phone I am really enjoying reading actual paper books again and am determined to put my phone out of sight if I sit down to read. The book pictured is really entertaining, by the way: bought it at Heathrow airport, expecting it to be rather shallow chick lit, but it is well-written and despite the fact that the love plot is very predictable, the perfect summer read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist