Monday, January 16, 2017

My Happy Place | In Love with Lövbacken

Sometimes, it is expensive luxury purchases, which make you happy every time you look at them or use them (in my case, this would be my Omega Seamaster watch that I pretty much haven't taken off since I gifted it to myself on my 40th birthday, as well as most of my handbags, in particular those limited edition ones). Other times, it is very inexpensive items that bring so much joy into your life. Meet "Lövbacken", a retro design side table from IKEA that I bought during the Christmas break. I rarely go to IKEA these days, and when I do, it is always in Klagenfurt, where it is a 10-minute-drive from my parents' place and there are usually no crowds. During my latest browse, when the only thing I needed was a replacement for a lamp in my flat, I walked past this beauty:
I immediately thought that it might go nicely with my beloved Jolly armchair. Jolly is a beloved fixture in my living room, but for a designer piece did not actually get that much use at first. I had the habit of dumping my pile of to-be-ironed clothes over its backrest (when no guests were around, of course) just as I had done with its not very comfortable predecessor. Well, you don't need to spend a hefty sum of money for a repository for your ironing and so I started using it for enjoying late breakfasts on weekends. Obviously, I needed to rest my mug of coffee or newspaper somewhere, and I would do so either on the bookshelf or on a little stool. It wasn't the perfect solution. I briefly contemplated whether Lövbacken might be the answer for this first world problem, or would just add additional clutter to my not exactly minimalist place, but then decided to go for it. It is indeed a match made in heaven and has upgraded my reading spot exponentially!
I now sit find myself sitting there several times a day, not just at breakfast time, which is good as Jolly is way more comfortable than my sofa, actually. It comes with a matching footrest, which I did not buy as I am very fond of this 1970s inflatable pouffe, bought by my parents on their honeymoon (during which I was "produced"). It is incredibly sturdy, the type of good (read, potentially dangerous, no doubt) plastic from the golden days, and I love it both for its colour and retro factor. 
Wishing you all a good week, while I finish my coffee here...

2 Comments:

Anonymous alcessa said...

Beautiful - well done :-)

Since so many of your books look similar to mine but I cannot really tell whether they are: are you in Goodreads? If you are, would you care to be my Goodreads friend? (awww, sounds much like good old school days, no? :-)

1/16/2017 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

@alcessa, I am not on Goodreads, alas If I were I would become your friends immediately, of course!

1/17/2017 11:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist