Monday, March 09, 2020

Privileged

I'm writing this on March 8, International Women's Day. Until a few years ago, I did not actually know this day existed. It was brought to my attention when I worked with colleagues in CEE who told me they had always celebrated it, even more so in Communist times. I found out that on March 8 they got flowers or chocolate from men like we do on Valentine's. Obviously, it is a day to reflect on feminist issues and what it means to be a woman, such as a potentially lower salary and less opportunities in life. I can honestly say I have never in my life felt disadvantaged by not being a man (actually, I was very relieved I did not get drafted for military service like male classmates did...) or feel that there were fewer opportunities in life for me. I don't claim that my perception reflects the objective truth, just that I, personally, have not felt any limitations or disadvantages. Naive? Possibly. Privileged? Definitely! I am very aware that the situation I am in (defined by the country I was born in and continue to live, by my parents and their economic situation and education, and many more factors) is nowhere near the norm, not even in this country, this year. I am just incredibly grateful for the fact that I can enjoy being a woman and not have to feel scared, harassed, quietened or prevented from pursuing my potential or living my dreams. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist