Monday, January 20, 2020

Wishless Happy

...would be the very unidiomatic literal translation of a phrase we use in German when we want to express that we are so content we can't think of anything to wish for. You can also reply with this expression when the hosts asks you if you would like a second helping or if there is anything else they can do for you.
Myself, I've always found it a super lame reply when I was young and this was the standard response of my grandmothers or other elder relatives to the question what they would like for their respective birthdays. As a child, I had countless wishes, of course and I could not believe why in the world anyone would reply that and deprive themselves of cool gifts form their wishlists. Everybody had wishlists, was my firm belief.
Now it is the very answer I give myself to everyone who asks me what I would like for my upcoming birthday. I can't think of anything I want or need that I can't buy for myself and I really have everything right now. Frustrating reply for anyone in need of a gift idea, I know, but that's how it is. There's only one even more annoying level: replying that all you want is "good health and world peace". Well, I value both, but for now I won't verbalise this and just assume that this is implied in my reply.
Part of me is scared I'll get five handheld mixers or electric blankets now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist