Saturday, November 01, 2014

Time-Travel

I was on the German island of Sylt from Tuesday to Thursday this week with my team from work and I truly loved it. We are all spoilt brats who are used to staying in 5* hotels (at least on business trips), but this time, we stayed in a youth hostel. Mind you, the breakfast there was better by far than in any 4* hotel I have ever stayed in London and everything was nice and clean. The beautiful scenery together with shared washrooms took me back to many happy camping holidays with my parents in the 1980s, in particular a road-trip to Scandinavia when I was about 10. I still have very vivid memories of climbing rocks, picking blueberries, being on a lot of car-ferry-rides and always feeling a little cold. I felt happy and content these 2 days and was very wistful indeed that we had to leave again so soon. The "official" part was minimal (I do have the best boss in the world, after all!), you had to buy a ticket for 4-hour-WiFi-access and I didn't switch on data-roaming on my phone, and so it felt like a carefree school-trip ca 1987 with your favourite classmates. For some reason, I had always thought the island to be "snobby" and elitist (and our manager described it as "the German Hamptons" after all), but even at the famous Sansibar where we ate twice, staff was extremely friendly and portions huge. Overall, a very friendly and laid-back atmosphere wherever we went and a true feeling of being able to recharge your batteries. I wish I could have taken a picture of the stars at night, visible in all their glory due to the absence of urban light-pollution. Breathtaking! To make up for it, here are some equally impressive photos of sunset and sunrise near our hostel:
You're welcome.
Regardless of the water temperature (not too cold, actually) I had to dip my feet into the North Sea...
I don't know if and when I will be back, but I certainly hope to return soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist