Sunday, November 23, 2014

Hipster Breakfast

Every self-respecting blogger has to post at least one recipe with chia seeds in 2014. It's a law. Sort of. Before the year is over, let me fulfil my duty.
Well, to be honest, I am late on this bandwagon and first bought the trendy seeds in August (on a daytrip to Ljubljana with my mum) since it was hard to find them in Vienna. I don't have an organic supermarket nearby and couldn't find it in any "normal" supermarkets or places like DM. Recently, my local BILLA supermarket has added it to its shelves even, definite sign that it is mainstream now.
In any case, I love gooey and pulpy breakfasts (very much unlike my Mum who despises them) and have devised a really good and quick breakfast. Since I need to boil water in the kettle for my French press-type morning coffee anyway and I don't really need milk in this, it is a superquick solution. You can of course add milk or a vegan milk substitute as well. Just make sure to add it hot. I have tried preparing chia pudding with cold milk, but much prefer this version and also like the texture that the shredded oats add, since the end result is less slimy.

Quick Chia Oat Pudding with Banana
1 small portion (feel free to double/tripe...etc.)

1.5 tablespoons of chia seeds
2 tablespoons of ground oats (Hafermark)
4,5 slices of ripe banana (I used frozen slices)
cinnamon and honey to taste
boiled water
Put the chia seeds and oats in a heat-resistant bowl and add enough hot water to cover everything and allow for the soaking magic. Don't make soup, but don't be too stingy with the water either. Add the banana slices, stir with a fork and mash the banana a bit. Leave to sit for 15 minutes (get dressed or put on your make-up in the meantime to maximise time...), then return to find that like magic, the water has been soaked up and the seeds have magically doubled in volume. Add cinnamon and honey to taste. Enjoy!

Note: You may leave it to soak longer of course or even prepare it the night before (let it cool and leave it in the fridge then), use other spices or fruit. The sky is the limit. I will try it with matcha next.


1 Comments:

Blogger alcessa said...

I order mine at Amazon ... but then, I am at home often enough to wait for the delivery :-) And I use chia seeds only in bread, not being sure about gooey things, either.

I have to admit I have never heard of Hafermark before - must try it out, I seriously adore Hafer-anything. Like: oat milk. And porridge. And oat cookies. :-)

11/23/2014 06:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist