Monday, August 21, 2006

Watch me come undone...

So on Friday night I went to see Robbie Williams. Some of you might remember that I froze my ass off queuing 4 hours for the tickets back in November. Was it worth it? Hmmm...of the 3 times I've now seen him perform here in Vienna, it was definitely the least impressive show. This could be partly due to the fact that allegedly he had been close to cancelling the concert because of the flu and it was indeed quite noticeable that he was feeling under par. It could also have to do with the fact that it was the first time I had a standing ticket for Ernst-Happel-Stadion and a) could barely feel my calves by the time the show began and b) could only catch the odd glimpse of the Master (decidedly chubbier in real life than on the latest videos, btw) himself thanks to several giraffes wearing platform shoes and chivalrous men with girfriends on their shoulders and so had to rely on the video screens.

I was also sort of offended he didn't play my all-time favourite, Supreme. Shame on you, Robbie! The last encore was Angels which had the desired wave-your-lighter-in-the-air effect and came with a proposal by a fan on stage. I wonder whether that was part of the show and the guy has to propose to his (fake?) girlfriend every night of the tour.

He announced that "tomorrow's show will be Scheiße" before he went off stage. According to the Mermaid, who listened to the live broadcast of Satuday's concert on radio, his voice was indeed more hoarse than it had been the day before so we should consider ourselves lucky to have got the better deal.

Still, it was a fun excursion with the girls, all five of them. I suppose if he were to play Vienna again next year, I'd pass. Add another year and I'll have forgotten all the pain (sitting/standing on grotty plastic covered with litter for hours on end, queuing for the loos, having somebody sing into my left ear for the duration of the whole concert) and willingly queue for tickets again.

Mental notes for next time:
  • Bring a generous supply of bottle caps as (overpriced) drinks sold in the stadium (you can't bring your own for security reason but you can buy them inside...) are handed to you with the caps removed by the vendor.
  • Wear platform shoes or hire stilts
  • Alternatively, wear much more revealing clothes so as to allure gentleman with broad shoulders.
Lunch-break purchases: Two 90s packs of daily contacts, Clinique eyeshadow (colour surge in "Sugar Sugar").

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, and why not just buy the tickets online instead?
I should also add that I must be the only female in the universe who remains utterly unmoved by the Robster... it's lonely out here.

8/21/2006 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

I can see that you're unmoved by the Robster - otherwise you'd also have fallen for the marketing coup that makes you queue in subzero temperatures for fear of not being able to purchase tickes online. When tickets first went on sale these were strictly limited to members of the robbie-fansite for which you had to pay a hefty membership...

8/21/2006 03:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Poulette, is that you next to me? ;-)
I taped the show from the radio for two friends who came all the way from Northern Germany to see him here. His voice was so bad that I was very happy not to have joined my friends. They again loved the concert.

8/21/2006 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist