Friday, May 01, 2015

First World Problems and Third World Ones

Earlier this week, there were two events that brought me close to tears and made my pulse soar to unprecedented heights. One was when I was without my phone in Zurich for about 12 hours and didn't know whether it had been stolen. It is shocking how much stress this caused me and how naked I felt without it. Need to set the alarm. Oh, can't. Want to reach for my phone to check Instagram/Bloglovin/e-mail. Oh, can't. What if my parents or friends want to reach me? Should I have my SIM card blocked right away, or wait? A million of thoughts were going on in my head just because of that bloody little device. Sad, really.
The even bigger stress factor was when I had plumbers come and read the gas concentration in my apartment after the drilled gas pipe had been mended (see my post about that little Saturday morning crisis). After 3 readings they said that they can't give their o.k., which was predictable as in "over 90% of old buildings" the gas pipes are apparently not super tight. I innocently asked what this meant and they said that in addition to having to disconnect the meter right away, I would need to have new pipes installed to all devices, including having to take out my kitchen, have tiles broken off, etc. All the good stuff you want in the apartment you live in. My jaw dropped and I was close to tears. The only silver lining was that I knew I was going to be in Lisbon (with hot water in the hotel) until Sunday night. They left and just as I was about to leave for work they called to ask if I was still at home as their contact from the insurance company had asked them to exclude further factors. Long story short, after tightening some bolts near the gas heater and stove, the values were excellent and I got the o.k. You cannot imagine my relief. Phew!
A few hours later, I got an e-mail from L'Italiana where I was bcc-ed in a request to raise funds for one of her friends, who is Nepali and lost 17 (!) family members in the recent earthquake. Well, replacing your phone and having a mess in your apartment really pales in comparison and even though I don't know the family at all, I immediately donated. If you would like to donate a little even though this is not tax-deductible and you don't know neither my friend nor the afflicted family, this would be incredible. I am pasting some information and the link to the fundraising site below.

Info:


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

To be able to check into ones own give you back, visit the IRS site in addition to thin air better. view

11/21/2017 06:31:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perfectly pent articles , Really enjoyed reading through . check out this site

11/21/2017 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post. I learn some thing more difficult on distinct blogs everyday. Most commonly it is stimulating you just read content from other writers and use a little from their store. I�d prefer to use some while using content on my own weblog regardless of whether you don�t mind. Natually I�ll provide link with your web blog. Appreciate your sharing. Get the facts

12/18/2017 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12/18/2017 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist