Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Crunchy Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hello, my fellow lovers of sweet treats. Recently, Instagram has had to bear the full brunt of my baking obsession. Oh, and my colleagues who get to eat my products in 95%. Today I'd like to share a recipe because it's my own creation rather than something out of a cook book. Every now and again I look at ingredients and get the idea to combine in a cake or other baked good. Combined with the wish to use something up (in this case, milk chocolate which I got as a gift) I conjure up something new. In this case, I had bought rice flakes two weekends ago as I was curious whether they made an awesome porridge. Turns out they don't, or rather I prefer porridge with oats anyway, but as they had a really strong (surprise!) rice taste, it made me think that they'd go well with some other "Asian" ingredient. Since I hadn't made anything with matcha in a long time and it is one of my favourite flavours ever, it took me about 2 seconds to think "MATCHA!" I decided to make oatmeal riceflake cookies with matcha and chocolate chips. If for some inconceivable reason you don't like chocolate, you might want to substitute it for raisins or cranberries. Unlike oats, rice flakes still retain a bit of crunch. If you like super soft cookies, you might want to soak them a bit and drain (note: they will swell to multiple their size!), omitting the milk in the recipe.
Ingredients:
Crunchy Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes approx. 25)
100g butter (room temperature)
80g caster sugar
80g brown sugar
1 egg
1 heaped TBS matcha powder
2 TBS milk (or water or vegan milk substitute)
200g rice flakes
100g flour
1 TS baking soda
1 pinch of salt
chocolate chips (I used 70g of half dark and milk)
***
Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan setting). Cream the butter in a large bowl together with the sugars until light and fluffy. I did that in my trusty Kitchen Aid. Add the egg, milk and matcha. If you want, you can dissolve the matcha in the milk first, but it's optional. Reduce the speed of your mixer and tip in the rice flakes. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and add to the rest. Finally, add your chocolate flakes and give it a final swirl with the mixer. If, like me, you don't use store-bought chocolate chips, but chop up a bar of choclate, I recommend putting it into a sieve and shaking over your sink (or a bowl if you would like to save the chocolate shavings). I do this because I want to bring out the colour of the matcha and not turn it a murky brown with heaps of tiny chocolate segments that would have the same effect as adding cocoa powder. I mean the little "dust" you can see on the chopping board. We don't want this in the cookies:

Using an ice-cream scoop or two tablespoons place blobs of dough on two lined baking trays. Make sure to leave enough space for them to spread out. Give them a light pat to flatten them so they'll look like so:

Bake 12-15 minutes. The edges should have turned slightly golden, not brown. The cookies will still be soft at the centre so make sure to allow to cool completely and lift them off the tray with a spatula.
Enjoy with a cup of tea and admire the pretty green colour of your cookies (which never comes out great in pics).

4 Comments:

Blogger alcessa said...

Have you ever considered making Mohn-Marzipan muffins? And how would you do that (approximately)? :-)

11/13/2013 04:54:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

@alcessa - I feel honoured that you ask for my advice! Personally, I can't eat poppyseed aka "Mohn" unless raw. For some reason, if it's ground and combined with sugar, my stomach heaves. Anyway, I love marzipan and would add the poppyseed together with other dry ingredients (i.e. flour, baking powder/soda...) after having creamed butter and sugar and added yoghurt or whatever else you put in your muffins and the marzipan, cubed, at the end.

11/13/2013 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger alcessa said...

Well, I have this tendency to bake things you write about and get compliments for them, so you are obviously the right person :-)

I bought "cooked" organic poppyseeds, so I guess they won't be needing any milk or something anymore. I have never baked with marzipan (I am not a big fan of it :-) but I expected to fit in nice with poppyseeds, so.) so I wasn't sure when and in which form to put it in. My last cake was a chestnut one, just like you describe the muffin dough above, but I put in chestnuts too soon and the cake was all mushy :-) It did taste great, though ... Physics combined with chemistry would be my problem, I guess.

Anyway, thx: I need to just do them one of these days and see what happens ...

11/13/2013 05:11:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Awww, that truly makes me happy that you had success with my recipes (most of them not "mine" anyway, but still). I would actually search for a muffin recipe, such as this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/american-style_breakfast_66044
and replace the hazelnuts with the poppyseeds and add the marzipan at the end so it doesn't clump up the mixer or dissolve too early.
Let me know how it turns out if you try it. I LOVE chestnuts, by the way

11/13/2013 05:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist