Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Way to My Heart...

Back in 2007, when none of my colleagues here were aware of my blog, I posted this.  When MC joined our team she became a regular reader of this site and, being the systematic worker she is, read all the archives as well. The last sentence of that post sort of got stuck in her brain and she likes to quote it back to me...a lot. So, just to give her new fodder, this is a post about even more impressive virtues a man should possess and an instance where my boss impressed me even more. Let's call this The way to my heart is paved with bags. 

But let's start at the beginning. When I was in Graz the day before Mother's Day I went to Kastner & Öhler, if you remember. For some strange reason, I decided to check out the bags section of the store and my eyes immediately fell on THE PERFECT travelling bag. Lightweight, but not too sporty. Big, but not too bulky. With a colour that was neither too summery, nor too wintery and wasn't too prone to get dirty. So why didn't I buy it, then. Well, my mother was with me and she said that it a) was too expensive for a mainly textile bag (my pain threshold is obviously much higher) and that I would b) probably find even cooler bags in Paris where I was going to be the following weekend. I cast one last longing glance at the bag, but for the sake of family harmony decided to pretend to be grown-up and, well, not quite as shopping-obsessed as my mother tends to think I am. Only to do some extensive research on the bag back in Vienna and add it to my Amazon wishlist. When I was back from Paris, not having found an equally sexy bag in the same price-range (EUR 100) at all, Amazon had sold out of the bag in the colour I wanted, which, by the way, looks like this:
Oh, well, I thought. Let's hope they'll get it back in stock soon. Last Thursday, I had a client meeting in Graz together with my boss. We drove there in his car, but as he had another meeting in Salzburg, it was arranged that he would drop me at the train station afterwards. On the way to the station after the meeting he asked if I would catch the train I had planned on taking or would have to take the subsequent one. "Well, if I miss it, you'll just have to drop me downtown near Kastner & Öhler", I joked, telling him about my missed bag-ortunity. On the train, I saw that he had called my mobile phone which was still set to "silent". I called him back, expecting some work-related issue. "I have some time before I need to set off for Salzburg and can pop into K&Ö. What does that bag look like again?" I prayed that the mobile broadband connection would hold out for a bit, took a screenshot and sent him an e-mail. Half an hour later he called to say that he had bought the bag. Mission completed! As he's on vacation this week he left it on my desk and I can refund him later. 

So, needless to say, the way to my heart is lined with bags even more than nails...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 things: 1st ok I'll stop quoting. 2nd now THAT's what true love is. Surely there must be one of those black and white cartoons portraying that scene?

6/02/2011 06:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist