Friday, May 27, 2011

Close Shave


On Tuesday, I attended a training in Hamburg. The trainer said he had to leave right on time as he was worried UK airports would be shut down soon because of the ash cloud caused by the eruption of yet another Icelandic volcano, which had apparently reached Scotland already. According to plan, I flew back to Vienna on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday, Hamburg airport was closed. As I needed to be back in Austria for an important meeting yesterday, the alternative would have been fighting over train tickets for an endless journey. Not a good prospect.

I also ate in the canteen. Whether that was a good idea remains to be seen (the incubation period of EHEC infections is 10 days, I read). I can only say that for once, I feel justified for giving cucumbers a wide berth. I flew back with the Gazelle and we both wanted to eat some light snack at the airport. We settled for sushi and decided to share a bento. We were torn between two options, but ruled out one of them half of which consisted of cucumber maki as none of us wanted to end up with those. I retrospect, perhaps a wise choice.

3 Comments:

Blogger alcessa said...

Well done :-)

(I have organic veggies delivered each week. If I order imported stuff, I am aware of it, because they label it as such. Which is why I threw away cucumbers and zucchini from Spain yesterday, today, I also threw away the rest of the vegetables they had delivered, just in case, apart from tomatoes: those I cooked with spices and put them into a jar. I hate hate hate it that I won't be able to enjoy raw vegetables for some time. It's not even that I panick: I eat loads of fresh vegetables, not always organic, and I get serious "toruble" from time to time. My absolute favourites, lettuce leaves, pre-packed and sold in plastic bags, are the worst enemies :-( )

5/27/2011 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger alcessa said...

"toruble" being "trouble", for the non-dislecix :-)

5/27/2011 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

I always make sure to rinse that "washed" lettuce sold in sealed plastic bags, but then restaurants don't, which I prefer not to think about (I happened to see a delivery of a huge crate of such lettuce bags at Va Piano the other day and I am pretty sure they just open the bags and don't rinse it again)...

5/27/2011 04:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist