Friday, May 19, 2006

shocker

Last night, I went to see The Secret Life of Words. It was a really good film and had an unexpected twist. Not quite the Crying Game kind - that's definitely the film with the mother of all unexpected twists, but the reason why the female protagonist (the male one was played by Tim Robbins, who I think is a great actor) seemed decidedly "odd" is rather surprising. I don't want to give it away for those of you who want to go and see it, so suffice it to say that it has to do with war crimes on the Balkan. The ending was quite weird and P, the friend I saw it with, and I couldn't agree on who was the narrator. P actually felt "seasick" because the film is predominantly set on an oil rig and asked me if I had a chewing gum to help her overcome her nausea.

***
Just to give you an approximate idea of the vital importance (think brain surgery) of my job: this morning, I had to lick 60 envelopes. No, I'm not some kind of pervert who gets a kick from slurping sickeningly sweet glue (hey, that could be taking glue-sniffing one step further!), I had to send off invitations. Yuck. We do own one of those old spongey things they (used to) have in post offices but it's slowly disintegrating and the options are nasty crumbs all over the envelope or getting down to business yourself. An office lady's got to do what an office lady's got to do...

Am off to KLU for the weekend. Be good and don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Lunch-break purchases: Only groceries. Geez, I'm getting seriously bad (or good?) here.

1 Comments:

Blogger ka-ma said...

Back in high school I had a summer job with a theatre in Ljubljana and they frequently asked me to do jobs like this. My solution was to take a small saucer from a coffee cup, pour a few drops of water in it and then apply it with my finger to the envelope. Those little sponges look like a breading ground for all kinds of microscopic things, so I never used them. And till now I actually NEVER lick any envelopes...it is disgusting! You have my sympathies!

5/20/2006 01:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist