Monday, May 22, 2006

more than suitable

Tonight I'm going to skip my favourite date of the week in favour of a reading by one of my favourite authors, Vikram Seth. In general, I give big fat (I'm talking phone directory fat!) novels a wide berth as I (often wrongly, think Ulysses) associate them with trivial bestsellers. Thankfully, though, I overcame my prejudices in the case of Seth's A Suitable Boy, an epic novel about the lives of 4 Indian families. My copy has almost 1,500 pages and in fact the German translation which I bought for my Mum was published in 2 volumes. It's the kind of book that comes in handy when you want to swat flies or knock burglars unconscios. Summer 2000 must have been particularly ...uhm... busy @ Coma HQ because it took me less than 2 weeks (and I read it in the office only) to devour this brilliant novel. I haven't read Seth's most recent book, Two Lives, which he is going to read from tonight, but am determined to force my way through the crowds and get him to sign my well-worn copy of A Suitable Boy. Although it's a normal bite-sized novel in terms of length (then again, I suppose anything is, compared to A Suitable Boy) I didn't really like An Equal Music, perhaps because it lacked the exotic appeal of the Indian setting.

I don't know what it is with Indian (born) novelists (is it something in the water?), but being a literary genius almost seems to be a concomitant phenomenon of Indian parentage . To name but 2 of my favourites - Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance is one of the most heart-rending (in a good, non predictable-tear-jerker way) works of fiction I know and Jhumpa Lahiri's short stories made me overcome yet another prejudice - that short stories are just not "my kind of thing".

***

On my way to the subway on Friday night, Mr. Nosexnodrugsnoalcohol asked me for money again. Again at the same spot on Herrengasse. Must be a good spot, that.

Lunch-break purchases: I had a proper lunch-date today, hence no purchases other than food.

7 Comments:

Blogger onemorehandbag said...

No need to apologzie, it's great to know you like Indian writers as much as I do! The reading was the best I've ever been to,more about that tomorrow. I did love "White Teeth", but I was disappointed by "the Autograph Man".

5/22/2006 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger ka-ma said...

Here are a few of my favourite Indian authors and their books...loved each and every one of them!

-Amitav Ghosh, The Glass Palace
-Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, Sister of My Heart
-Anita Rau Badami, Tamarind Woman
-Jumpha Lahiri, The Namesake
-Raj Kamal Jha, The Blue Bedspread

Just recently I ventured more into Chinese authors and loved many of them too. It feels like I am discovering a whole new world while reading them, as well as those mentioned before.

5/23/2006 05:56:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Ka-ma-chan, I've also read "The Glass Palace", "The Namesake" and "The Blue Bedspread" and loved all of them. One of my favourite books EVER is Arundhati Roy's "The God of Small Things" Genius! My knowledge of Chinese lit is rather limited though, but I've read a few, such as Ha Jin's "Waiting".

5/23/2006 09:21:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

By Rushdie, I've only read "Midnight's Children" and wasn't terribly impressed. Perhaps I'm doing him injustice, but that book didn't whet my appetite for more. Alcessa, I am definitely amazon.de's best customer. I'm waiting for them to build a monument in my honour or send me a platinum card or something...

5/23/2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Oh, Amy Tan - I guess I shelved her as "American". I did like "the Kitchen God's Wife" but I found it a bit on the kitschy side, same as with Divakaruni's "The Mistress of Spices".

5/23/2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger ka-ma said...

I liked Amy Tan's The Bonsetter's Daughter. Also good are Su Tong's Rice , Ha Jin's Crazed and Hong Ying's Daughter of the River. All three in their own way are a wonderfull insight into daily life and thoughts but in the different periods of time. Worth reading!
I didn't like Anchee Min's Empress Orchid...like you said about The Mistress of Spices I found it a bit kitschy.

5/24/2006 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Wow, thanks for the many Chinese recommendations! I'll impress my book club with them...

5/24/2006 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist