Monday, April 10, 2006

yet another baking orgy

yeast feast (onemorehandbag)Easter baking this time. On Friday night, I attempted my first ever Reindling, a yeast cake filled with raisins, sugar and cinnamon (see bottom left picture), which, topped with ham (!) and grated horseradish (!!) is part of the traditional Carinthian Easter dinner. In my family, though we eat it for breakfast and leave out the perverted ham-bit. My Mum not being quite the traditional housewifey kind and not originally from Carinthia either, has never baked a Reindling in her life but always gets a really yummy one from her cleaner. I asked her to get the recipe for me and this is what I tried on Friday.

Reasoning that I could double the quantities to make the hassle (leaving the dough to expand to an obscene degree a gazillion times) worth it, I got so much dough out of one kilogramme of flour that I made one regular Reindling, one without raisins (I know several people who hate them), a little plaited brioche and a tray full of cinnamon rolls. The two Reindlings have already been devoured by several of Coma HQ's inmates and overall, I'm quite pleased with the outcome of my first attempt, if I say so myself.

No lunch-break purchases. Instead of roaming the shops, I sat in the sun on a park-bench, reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist