Tuesday, January 17, 2006

some like it dark

chocoholic(onemorehandbag) Contrary to what it may look like, this is not the window-display of a chocolate store, it is the humble (dark) chocolate-collection TD and I currently have at home. And, no, I did not buy them just so I would have something to write about for the blog. We just really like dark chocolate and people know we like it so dinner guests often bring some instead of/in addition to wine or flowers as a gift for their hosts. Many of this year's Christmas presents also included some novelty chocolate.

I am - unfortunately - a very "categorical" person who jumps to hasty conclusions all to often and has this kind of mental check-list when sniffing people out for their friend-for-life-potential. Needless to say, the highest score can be achieved if candidates' answers mirror my own preferences in such fundamental issues like:
  • dark chocolate vs. milk chocolate [white chocolate is only butter and therefore not even an option]
  • cats vs. dogs
  • town vs. country [as in: where would you like to permanently live]
  • reader vs. non-reader
  • shopaholic vs. shop-abstainer
  • Sex and the City lover vs. "How can you watch this?"

    etc., etc.

You get the picture. In case you were in any doubt, I go for the first option in all of the above. Now I do have friends who are allergic to cats and therefore loathe them, are not adverse to a bar of butter white chocolate and who don't find Sex and the City remotely entertaining but you just can't disagree with me on all counts and expect me to still love you. That's just not on! If you must clog your arteries with white chocolate you should at least have some connoisseur attitude about it and be able to name a minimum of 3 brands of your preference.

TD's definitely not the reading kind but apart from that he did really well on that list of mine. Above all, he could argue about the individual merits of his favourite brands of dark chocolate for hours, as could I. Chocolate-bores that we are, we get really excited when we discover that new acquaintances are dark-chocolate-aficionados as well. It's like belonging to some secret masonic lodge obsessed with cocoa content and the quest for foreign brands in elegant pitch-dark wrappers and embossed writing. Conversations abound with reverently whispered code-words: Valrhona! Lindt's 70%! Michel Cluizel! Our current favourites are dark chocolates by "J.D. Gross" which allegedly is a sub-brand created by the German company Rausch for the LIDL supermarket chain according to this article (in German). I don't care who's behind the name and personally find they taste much better than the Rausch products proper but those J.D. Gross bars truly are orgasmic. The fact that at a little over 1 € per bar they are very reasonably prized as well isn't so much a priority as I've paid obscene amounts for premium chocolate in the past without batting an eyelid.

Visitors who see our permanently well-stocked chocolate treasure trove always express their disbelief that we a) don't raid it all in one go and b) don't look like the Michelin Man yet what with all those calorific temptations around. While we're both generously padded - thank you very much - and definitely are not given to chastening ourselves we do actually enjoy it in (relative) moderation. Don't worry, though, we'll see to it that it won't go off.

Lunch-break-purchases: I indulged in shopping-by-proxy today when FCN bought a gorgeous down-coat. On the way back to the office I only bought some birthday cards and a funky letter opener (to be added to my present-depot). Tomorrow I have a lunch-date at Starbucks so brace yourselves for another purchase-less day. Just please don't give up hope yet. I promise to be good and revert to my money-squandering ways. Soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Dear virtual BFFL, you are of course right about SatC being repetitive. Even so, it's like "Groundhog Day" (very annoying film, btw) - I can laugh about the same scenes no matter how many times I've already seen the episode in question. Sad, I know.

Re: padding - Geez, I managed to trick you without digital remastering even! Hah! You just passed the ultimate unofficial BFFL test all over again: flattery [Does my bum look big in this?.

1/17/2006 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger ka-ma said...

To paraphrase Homer Simpson: "mmmmmmmm, dark chocolate.....!"
Count me in on that one!Acctually, count me in on all first counts except for the cats...I am definetely a dog person. And yeah, Groundhog day is dangerously ANNOYING!
Btw, Japan is a very seriously "chocolate-challenged" country. Luckily we have a few Belgian imports to satisfy our cravings, but I would prefer not to talk about the obscene price they put on it!

1/18/2006 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

ka-ma: although we get mostly savoury "omiyage" at the office, I quite like Mini Pocky and some of the biscuits. I absolutely hate yokan. Yuck! Double yuck!

1/18/2006 09:29:00 AM  
Blogger ka-ma said...

To me, anything made of adzuki or any other beans or rice(flour) by definition doesn't qualify as sweets! I have big problems swallowing that stuff and I do it only under serious duress or out of extreme politeness...You know, the one "I-have-to-swallow-or-they-will-resent
-like-hell" kind of politeness. Give me the Viennese-type of stuff any day!

1/18/2006 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

I'm willing not to blow my nose in front of a Japanese person out of politeness but I draw the line at ingesting the slimy goo!

1/18/2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger ka-ma said...

Are you talking about natto? Have you ever had the "pleasure" to try it? This is where all my politenes stops, although they always try to persuade me with "it is very healthy and good for you" line. Can't smell it, can't swallow it and it is banned in my house!

1/18/2006 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

No, I'm not talking about natto although from what I've heard about it, I definitely wouldn't feel inclined to try it.

1/18/2006 10:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poulette, she is just fishing for compliments, she is as skinny as a rake and you can't see her from the side, I, with my new michelin man coat especially, am the generously padded one and look like a cuddly frog. I thought it was a good buy yesterday when the temperatures dropped below zero, now I am not so sure, nearly melted in the supermarket today!

1/18/2006 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

BoB/FCN, you are not a BFFL for nothing but "skinny as a rake" is overdoing it slightly. And who's fishing for compliments, hmmm, "michelin woman"??? As if!

1/18/2006 04:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist