Friday, January 13, 2006

TGIF!

I had planned to write about a different topic altogether today, but then my boss caught me unawares and catapulted me into rant-overdrive.

Mid-morning he materialised in my room just as I was munching an apple while simultaneously devouring the latest posts of my favourite fellow bloggers* and asked me if I could spare a minute. Erm, yes, I think I can just about manage. In the privacy of our meeting room he said that what with our Slovenian branch having just opened (I used to be in charge of Slovenian affairs within my department) he gathered I might feel just a tiny bit...unchallenged (whatever gave him that idea?) right now and he had therefore decided to redistribute duties. Riiiiight. I feared the worst. After a little talk with a colleague of mine he'd agreed with her to divert some of her jobs to me. Needless to say when he asked her which ones she'd most willingly part with she mentioned the ones she liked least. As you would. Thus I'm being put in charge of Coma HQ's website (I used to just translate the content for the English version and update the bit on the projects I'm in charge of), mailing list and earned two other projects he'd obviously just created to give me something to do. Although this is a very laudable approach, investing so much of his oh-so-precious time in thinking up occupational therapy for yours trulythey're very annoying and dead boring tasks, all of them.

I imediately wrote a bitchy mail to said colleague, thanking her for the kind donation. She wasn't happy to get less to do herself, being just as bored as I am and - what's worse - with the boss sitting right behind her so she can't just surf the web all day like I do, but wasn't selfless enough to part with the less tedious of her tasks. Of course, our boss asked me whether I was happy with his suggestions but what could I say, really? Tell him that yes, I was bored to tears most of the time but could he perhaps dream up some remotely more interesting projects while he was at it? Not really.

* Another regular commenter over @ the Glory of Carniola has obviously been infected by the blogging-bug. If you are better at Slovenian than I am and want to know more about life in Japan (like I do) you might want to pay her a visit.

My frustration called for another chocolate-fuelled lunch-break-excursion with FCN:

Lunch-break-purchases: A cashmere sweater. I'm almost 34 years old and have managed to survive without a cashmere sweater until now, believe me or not (blends do not count, I do own jumpers with a small percentage of cashmere). I already drooled over those beauties yesterday but decided not to get one even though at € 49,50 they were very cheap for 100% cashmere. Then I remembered that my Granny wanted to know what I would like for my upcoming birthday. Hah! Another guilt-free splurge and a happy Granny in one go. While we were at Steffl I bought a new mascara (Estée Lauder, Illusionist Maximum Curling Mascara) which will hopefully manage to turn my straight, porcine lashes into glamorous curled ones. I'll keep you posted.

4 Comments:

Blogger ka-ma said...

Thanks for mentioning me, sweetie!! Never could say no to free advertising...! About cashmere stuff...I do have a rather unpleasant experience myself, involving a brand new (and my first) extremely expensive cachmere cardigan, a bottle of home grown olive oil and Vienna Airport...but more of that maybe someday in one of my posts!

1/13/2006 11:48:00 PM  
Blogger ka-ma said...

And of course..I am sorry to hear about the new redestribution of duties.It seems your occupational therapy will take the back seat for a while. Too bad! But chin up girl, at least he can't take away those lunch breaks that keep you sane!

1/14/2006 04:30:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Dear ka-ma, that cashmere-olive oil death match sounds horrible!
Don't worry about the boss's brainwaves taking away too much of my (blogging-)time, I don't think I'm in danger of karoshi any time soon, it's more the boring and superfluous nature of the jobs he assigned me that annoyed me.

1/14/2006 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Poulette, Lancome's "Hypnose" was in fact the one I used before and I was not impressed at all. It probably only works if you have manga heroine lashes to start with which I don't as mine are long, but rather on the straight side. Since I'm not very talented with eyelash curlers I need to rely on the mascara for some serious "curling action"

1/17/2006 10:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist