Monday, November 28, 2022

Senior Student

When I was at university in the 1990s my peers and myself made fun of what were known as the "senior students": fellow students considerably older than us, mostly retired already. I guess I fall in that category myself now, even though MBA students tend to be older, per se of course. My mum recently asked me if I found that studying was harder now that I was older and it's not that, but the, let's call it study environment could not be more different than it was back then. Obviously computers were already around when I submitted my first thesis and I wrote it on my laptop, but research was what you did in the brick-and-mortar library.  Going there, taking out books or making photocopies of huge chunks of the books you wanted to cite, was just part of the deal. All my study books were actual, physical books too. Now I have access to a gazillion of online resources, which is waaaay more convenient. I do not , however, want to print out all the .pdfs I download. Reading them on my screen is not quite the same thing I find and overall the fact that most aspects of the courses (apart from the classroom-sessions) are digital almost feels a little banal in the sense that it is very similar to my day job that is spent in front of my computer for the largest part. 
PS: I don't knit when writing a paper. This picture was taken last week when I took part in a webinar and was itching to multi-task...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist