Monday, October 26, 2020

It's Complicated

 

Now that infection rates are rising at an alarming rate and many countries have put Austria on their red list, travelling is not really on my radar at all. Also, in view of public appeals by poltiticians to stay at home, it almost feels like a criminal act to leave your hometown, even if (like me) you are an extremely cautious and rule-abiding person.  I am writing this at my parents' and if I am honest I have moments of panic thinking that I might be one of those asymptomatic cases who unwittingly infect others. Ironically, I spend most days in isolation in my suburban home office and can't remember the last time I was at the cinema (pre-lockdown in any case, potentially in 2019) while my mother, who herself is at risk because of her age and who shares a household with my super-high-at-risk dad has been in the cinema a few times recently. In comparison to some old people I am careful to the point of paranoia and I feel safest at home, truth be told. 
The other side of the coin is that "people like me" who take social distancing very seriously and are in full cocooning mode contribute to the demise of the hospitality industry. I really pity all those hotels and restaurants (the family-owned ones in particular) who don't know how they will survive the next months. Due to Highflyer's job I have way more insight into the current state of the aviation idustry than I want as it makes me extremely anxious to know just how bleak the situation is (sometimes there's more crew on a plane than there are passengers) and that no silver lining is in sight.
When I see people posting about trips abroad in my Instagram feed I am torn between self-righteousness ("wouldn't it be better if you stayed at home?") and respect ("so good that at least some people are buying flight tickets and supporting those poor hotel owners") as I am too much of a coward myself. It's so easy to judge people for their behaviour in times of crisis, but it definitely is not as black and white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist