Monday, June 12, 2017

Celebrations

The German equivalent of the English proverb "Christmas comes but once a year" is Man muss die Feste feiern, wie sie fallen, roughly translated as "you have to celebrate (happy) occasions whenever they occur". I am a firm believer of that saying and it is the reason why I have made a point to celebrate my birthdays by taking out my friends to a nice place on my birthday. It's not that I want to be the center of attention at all cost (rather the opposite is the case) or want to be showered with gifts (a nice side-effect, admittedly), but I have learned not to save anything "for later" or just to commemorate the really BIG occasions, as you never know if yourself or your friends will still be around then or able to party with you. For example all the places you are dreaming of visiting - don't tell yourself that you will visit when your retired/the kids have grown up/you get a salary rise. If you can find the time and have the financial means to make it happen, make it happen at the next available opportunity. I am sure you will find other great things to do later, too, but you don't want to be bitter later when for some reason you can't make your dreams come true any more for whatever reason and wish you had not waited. It might take some effort and not always be the most relaxing day for the host(ess), but I am a firm believer that you should indeed celebrate happy occasions or come together just because as often as you can or such occasions present themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist