Saturday, January 04, 2014

Rekindled

I still really like my (first generation, unfancy, non-touchscreen) Kindle for reading on the go and also for being able to "dress" it with covers the way you might a Barbie doll, but some things just don't translate that well to e-readers, such as photos or fancy typeset. The two books off my Amazon wishlist that I got for Christmas, Man Repeller and Night Film are perfect examples. I read the former during the holidays and liked being able to look at the pictures on paper. I'm guessing that new Kindles can render colour pictures pretty realistically, but it is still not the same and personally, I only really enjoy reading "text only" books in digital form.
Perhaps this is just another symptom of my recent realisation/New-Years-Resolution-in-disguise that I've been spending way too much time consuming digital media. I don't even want to tell you how many hours a week I spend consuming crappy not really all that interesting videos on YouTube and clicking "refresh" on Instagram and Bloglovin. I really intend to cut down on that this year and spend my precious spare time more actively. Now that my bedroom/study is completed I really have no excuse not to make all the projects I have planned.

2 Comments:

Blogger alcessa said...

Well ... I am now guilty of quite a perversion: I read a series of French translations on Kindle, because they are much cheaper than real books and because I can use a Kindle dictionary (I am an absolute beginner in French and can only read the books because I have already done them in English). But ... I so want to read real French books one day! So I also bought all of them as books. Yes, I did. Kindle's not enough. *blush*

OK, this said, the real reason I dropped by today was to thank you: end of December I made 2 batches of your Vanillekipferl - needless to say they were/are a great hit in our house again! (I even went so far as to use wholemeal spelt flour this time - they are as delicious as ever)
And then Santa dropped by and brought us a "Kochbuch österreichisch vegetarisch" :-) Now I can speak some colloquial Slovene again, using words like Marillen, Ribisel and Kukuruz, like there's no tomorrow :-))) (loving it!)

1/05/2014 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Well, at least you're keeping several industries alive, Alcessa ;-)
I'm glad to hear the V-Kipferln were a success and that you are going to branch out into Austrian cuisine. Oh yes, this is all standard Austrian vocabulary!

1/05/2014 07:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist