Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Worth a Visit: Jeju Island

When I chose Korea as the destination for my next "big"non-European vacation destination, I just had this vague notion of it being a really cool place, sort of similar to Japan in terms of culture, shopportunities and food. I did not know any cities by name other than Seoul and this is why I sought inspiration in a guidebook, the website of the Korean tourist board (extremely well made and available in many languages), books and blogs and above all tips by friends who had already been. Eventually, I decided I wanted to see Seoul, Busan (the second largest city and home of Korea's most famous beaches) and Jeju island. All of these (re)sources seemed to agree that Jeju was a magic place and Korea's real highlight. They were right. Jeju island really is a gem and Chiquita loved it just as much as I did. It is often described as "Korea's Hawaii" or the honeymoon island and it is apparently the location of many famous Korean TV dramas, none of which are broadcast here...or if they were I probably wouldn't know anyway. Here are some photos to give you an idea how pretty it is:
Cheonjiyeon waterfalls
the view from our balcony at Jeju EcoSuites overlooking tangerine groves
locally grown citrus fruits everywhere...
The Giant's Causeway's South Korean cousin at Jusangjeolli
lush subtropical vegetation
relationships of trust among neighours: you just take a pack of cherry tomatoes or two and leave money in the bowl

backdrop of TV dramas...
tea plantation

...and not to forget the Teddy Bear Museum, one of many quaint museums (apparently there are 3 devoted to the topic of sex) on the island. Van Gogh and Gandhi as teddy bears: pricelessShould you ever plan to visit South Korea, make sure to stop by Jeju, a short domestic flight away from Busan or Seoul.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog . Its very nice. I always read your informative blog post. I want to add some real estate project information with the help of your blog please click here Purvanchal Royal City

6/04/2013 01:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Tammy said...

I'll be moving to Jeju in a month, and these pictures make me even more excited to see the island. Thanks for a great post!

Any tips on Jeju fashions?

7/28/2013 06:46:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Hi Tammy, Lucky you! Unfortunately (and very uncharacteristically for me...) I did not hit any shops on Jeju island so don't have any tips, fashionwise.

7/29/2013 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Indrianishvi said...

Your vacation in Jeju is very fun. Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge about holidays. impi.com

12/05/2019 02:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist