Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Art Haul...

As I've mentioned in the previous post, one of my "birthday acquisitions" was a piece of art. It is actually bag-shaped and definitely not an impulse buy. I saw an exhibition of this artist (who is from Carinthia originally, but lives in Vienna), Dietmar Franz, in KLU two summers ago and sort of bookmarked him for a purchase as I loved the shape as well as the Viennese motifs, such as the one I ended up getting of the Haus des Meeres.
The bag is cut out of wood and the drawing is a print (silk-screen), not an actual drawing, as the originals of the bag-series were considerably more expensive.

The artist is no longer in his "bag phase" and has moved on to a "plate phase", i.e. now uses round discs of wood as the surface for his drawings. In addition to the "sponsored" artwork, I bought a small original and actually had it custom-drawn for me as it was only displayed in his studio on a larger, and obviously more expensive disc. It shows a mansion by the Wörther See with water-lily, duck and carp and for some reason really reminds me of illustrations in books I used to read in my adolescence. Looking at it makes me nostalgic, but in a good way. It is painted with graphite, in case you were wondering.

I didn't want to use flash, but unfortunately the aritificial light gives it a strange yellow tint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist