Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thursdays Are Dangerous

Thursday is the day of the week when shops are open longer in Sydney and last Thursday I definitely needed some retail therapy. Off I went to Myer department store and with my bargain radar discovered some interesting items on the "reduced" rails. Such as this layered silk skirt that reminds me a bit of an Hermès scarf and which comes with a "Chinese" belt:
It is by Australian brand Howard Showers.I had never heard of them, but some of their stuff is really great - good tailoring and quality at the same time. I also like their motto, "from office to cocktail".
There actually are dozens of brands which are really big here but that wouldn't be known to people in Europe at all. Some of them are quite good and I wouldn't mind if they opened a branch in Vienna. Such as Decjuba, where I got this belt from:

As I've remarked before, summer fashion gets here after Europeans and Norther Americans have already rocked the same trend, such as brightly coloured jeans and colour blocking. I've long resisted the coloured jeans fad as I already wore bright jeans in the 1990s. Back then I had a pair in canary yellow, carrot orange, frog green - you name it. The Irish boy I briefly went out with when on an Erasmus year in Dublin famously dumped me with the line "You're just too cool for me: you wear orange jeans..." Aaaaanyway - I decided I had to have an electric blue pair of skinny jeans, having passed the pile of jeans at the entrance of the Cotton On branch in Harbourside shopping mall several times on my way home from work. They are really comfortable and not too low cut at the waist and I've already worn them to work.
The shoes are new as well - bought inexpensively from a store at Bondi Junction when my Mum was here.

The top below is the second purchase from my little Myer/Howard Showers spree last Thursday:
I wore it out and about on Saturday and the Australian, who was visiting, kindly took a picture of me on m balcony:

I also bought some t-shirts with "funny" prints and a striped long-sleeved one, also from Cotton On, for an incredible $5. It's super soft and long: love!
On Saturday, the Australian and I browsed shops in the Paddington suburb/district and I bought two sale items (amounting to $ 75 instead of $250 for the two) at Seed, which had really nice stuff and reminded me of Comptoir des Cotonniers and the Petit Bateau collection for grown-ups a bit. I bought this grey silk top/tunic:

...and a white linen top/dress that I might cut at the length or try wearing with a belt as it looks a bit boring just like this:
We also happened upon a shoe store where every pair was a mere $10 and I snatched up these gladiator sandals in a dusty pink (trousers only rolled up for photo purposes, by the way):
Even though I have a second "sherpa" for excess baggage lined up with the Mermaid coming next week (yay!) I'll remind myself not to overdo it, bargains or not.

1 Comments:

Blogger thespiritoftorontonians said...

The skirt is amazing! You'll never find that in Toronto :(

11/23/2011 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist