Friday, November 04, 2011

Down Under/Upside Down

Now this might not be anything particularly Australian at all, but I wanted to share some oddities of my studio apartment with you anyway. First of all, the fridge is incredibly cold even at the lowest setting. I first made the mistake of buying regular butter, only to realise that you have to take it out of the fridge at least an hour before you get hungry unless you have an ice-pick or battleaxe at your disposal. "Spreadable" is the keyword to look out for. The arctic temperatures of my fridge are no doubt due to the fact that there is an ice-covered "freezer compartment" without a door in the top shelf. I have never tried actually storing frozen goods in there, but the coke in the bottle to the left of it definitely had frozen solid when I wanted to drink it. What's also strange is that the jug apparently "lives" in the fridge, too. It was there when I moved in and as it doesn't fit into any of the kitchen cabinets I've decided to leave it in there.
Another strange thing is the location of the (rather short) LAN cable - fixed into a socket next to the bed and farthest away from the desk. It cannot be removed from there and plugged in elsewhere. One more reason why I decided to rely on my mobile internet.
Last, but not least, my dishwasher does not have a cutlery compartment, so I always have to hand-wash my knives, forks and spoons. Whether some past tenant snatched it or this is what it is supposed to be like, I don't know, but I certainly find it unusual.
I also have a very funky toploader washing machine, but I've had one (with fewer buttons and blinking lights, but still) of those in my previous apartment in Vienna, too.

I'm off to a road-trip later tonight and won't be back in Sydney until Tuesday night. More then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist