Monday, April 11, 2011

Let them Eat Glitter

I spent the greater part of my weekend returning my living room to its previous state, only cleaner. In between, I got a haircut and manicure, attended a 40th birthday party and finally delivered my birthday present (the computer engineer Barbie, as seen here) to my godchild. As promised, I also made "princess cakes" aka fairy cakes. The recipe * is dead easy and they are nowhere near as calorific or sickeningly sweet as they look. Highly recommended if you don't have much time but want to impress your guests.

With my muffin moulds I got 16 cakes out of the dough and it's always like a chemistry lesson to get a huge bowl of icing just with one single egg white beaten over simmering water. This time, I did not have enough icing sugar and so used one third caster sugar. It still turned out perfectly:
This is what the cakes look like before the icing has dried (takes about 4 hours at least).
Frida, my goddaughter's mother, liked the cakes so much I promised to make them for her birthday in May as well. Perhaps with a more grown-up decoration.

* instead of self-raising flour I use plain flour and one teaspoon of baking powder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist