Monday, April 04, 2011

They Never Asked Me!

I'm in Dublin at the moment. When I arrived yesterday afternoon, I immediately headed into town to get the most out of the fact that unlike in Austria, shops are open on Sundays in Dublin. For nostalgic reasons, my first mission was a visit to my favourite bookstore of all times, Waterstones on Dawson street, only to discover... 

Shock! Horror! Thankfully, everything was still in its place across the street and Hodges Figgis seemed its good old self:
A friend whom I met last night explained that Waterstones was owned by the same company as HF (or vice versa) so when recession struck, it was decided that it didn't make sense economically to keep up two big bookstores in the same street. She also said that Waterstones was going to shut down its branches in the UK as well. Whether this is true or just a rumour, I have no idea, but it certainly makes me said. Having said that, I am fully aware that it's hypocrytical of me to bemoan the demise of brick&mortar bookstores and at the same time buy almost 100% of my book purchases online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist