Friday, July 07, 2006

sofa surfing

summer @ MQ (onemorehandbag) Last night, I met Frida at the MQ. She, the Prototype and their boys are back from Paris. I was so happy to see her, I almost suffocated her in a bear-hug. After having unpacked my goodie-bag of stylish souvenirs (a pen from Muji, a mini magnetic memo board, post-its with a strict looking woman and "la secrétaire" written underneath, a self-made brooch, a cellotape-roll with "Happiness" printed on it, tiny pictogram stickers, a pin saying "superstar"), I launched into a monologue about "what-I-didn't-write-you-in-an-E-Mail", filling her in about my latest ups and downs. Well, downs, mostly. In my defense I have to say that the poor girl had been warned that it was going to be a moan fest on my part and the Mojitos were on me.
We were sitting on one of the funny sofa-like contraptions (painted a different colour every summer) on the big square between the museums. The exact place where in winter you can warm up with Glühwein at a Christmas market.

I just love MQ which is conveniently located down the road (admittedly, it's a rather long road and a looong way) from where I live. Most of the museums have really nice cafés or restaurants attached to them, my favourites being Halle and Café Leopold. In summer, they all put up tables and chairs on the square and most of the drinks can also be ordered in plastic cups for take-away if you prefer to lounge on one of the red monsters. Some people prefer to bring their own stuff and hold veritable picnics.

Having lived in Vienna since 1990 I have seen many transformations in this city. Most of them for the better, some for the worse. The opening of the U3 subway line in 1993 aside, the MQ is by far the best addition to the city in my opinion. The Museum of Modern Art's (MUMOK) granite building (topmost picture) is often being critisised for being glum and depressing to the extreme, but I - gasp! - actually like it. The museum shops are cool, too and the central MQ Point which is open on Sundays, too, is a reliable source for last-minute presents.

Whenever I get visitors from abroad, I always drag them to the MQ whether there are any interesting exhibitions on or not and so far, they've all liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist