Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A letter from God. No, really!

When I took my filofax, mobile phone and lunch out of my bag at the office this morning, I also unearthed an elegant burgundy envelope. Where did that come from? I dimly remembered getting it from a frumpish-looking middle-aged lady yesterday when I got off my bus at "Volkstheater". She handed it to me with a beatific smile and a meaningful "it's a Valentine's Day gift". After having fingered the envelope and ascertained that no actual gift was in it I'd assumed that it must be some voucher for a boring new restaurant or something and dumped it in my bag. Mind you, the envelope did look quite upmarket and promising but in all the drama and excitement yesterday morning I complete forgot about the omnious gift.

This morning I opened the envelope. Out came an invitation saying "time for a rendezvous?" and, in smaller, cursive print "let's take time to talk to one another again" and the details for a "rendezvous with God" at Stiftskirche church on Mariahilfer Straße. Furthermore enclosed was a "letter" written in dark red italics on transparent paper. The header read "to the best idea I've ever had" and it was dated " 14 February 2006, Feast of St. Valentine". After some excerpts from psalms (which I know thanks to the helpful little footnote) along the lines of "I'm there for you if you're looking for me" it closed with "Lots of love and see you soon! God"

Gee, it's not every day you get a letter from God Himself.

I'm guessing the parish of "Stiftskirche" on Mariahilfer Str. wanted to protest against pagan consumerism taking over the sacred Feast of St. Valentine's and to stop doomed lapsed Catholics on their way to work to remind them of the true meaning of February 14. Fair enough. One or two of the recipients might actually have been impressed enough by God (nice handwriting by the way, I must say) making the effort to write to take him up on that rendezvous at Stiftskirche but personally I would have been far more impressed if all the money that must have gone into purchasing the expensive stationery had been used for, say, a donation to "die Gruft", a daycare facility for homeless people in walking distance from Stiftskirche. But then, that's just me...

Lunch-break-purchases: A new (white) bin for my bathroom. Sorry, I can't just buy glamourous things like bags and clothes every day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist