Monday, March 21, 2022

Masked Rebels


Now that our little banana republic recommends wearing masks indoors again after about two weeks of having people flock to nightclubs and wear masks practically nowhere, all I can do is roll my eyes and say: "Well, no surprise there". I sometimes wonder if there is any sense of reason and self-awareness left in people. And with people I explicitly don't mean most of my friends and family who seem to take the same approach that I do, i.e. still are cautious and don't pretend coronavirus has evaporated simply because some guidelines have changed. 
Last Thursday I was on a business trip in Linz, where I gave a presentation as part of a training for civil servants. None of them wore a mask and I realised it looked a bit weird if I, the presenter standing in front of them, was the only one who did. I explained that I had plans for the weekend, including meeting some old and at-risk people (including my bedridden uncle whose doctors decided that getting vaccinated against Covid-19 posed too great a health risk for him) but they could of course remain as they were. I admit that it was a bit awkward and I almost was a bit apologetic for what was not actually required. 
Last summer I was looked at like an alien when I went shopping wearing an FFP2 mask in Carinthia, being used to that from Vienna and also believing that the virus did not differentiate between a grocery shop, where it was and "non-essential" shops, where it was not necessary to wear a mask. 
Don't get me wrong, I don't actually enjoy walking around with a tight-fitting mask, but I don't want to actively provoke getting infected. So far, I have been lucky in several cases where I was a potential contact person, but you never know. According to statistics I have the "best" blood type that gets infected less easily, but still, you know, better be safe than sorry.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist