Monday, March 25, 2019

Carping that Diem

Bestie Boy likes to label me a hedonist and I guess part of me is indeed pretty hedonistic. This attitude definitely became more dominant with age and experience after having realised that life may be over way sooner and more suddenly than we have planned and it really is not a good idea to wait with anything for retirement. Apart from "dying", which should happen well in your retirement. 
I recently splurged on a lot of things out of a whim and there was a brief moment of "well, that was a bit impulsive, no?" but I felt validated in my (expensive) hedonistic gut decisions by two sudden and unexpected deaths: one of a colleague less than ten years older than me, one of a good friend's mother. Back in 2011, I had a health scare that ended well, but I resolved to not take anything for granted and not to waste time in unpleasant circumstances if I can avoid it. In other words, life is too precious to spend months or even years suffering in a job you hate or a relationship that makes you unhappy.
If there is one thing I know, it's that I will try even more not to bookmark things for later and also to make a conscious effort to show the people I care about just how much I value them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous alcessa said...

DON'T read A Little Life then. It may well be one of the best books you will have read (it was to me), but it will cause quite some suffering (aka it did this to me), so I am known to not recommend it these days ;-) (agree on just about everything in your posst, of course :-)

3/25/2019 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Well, I downloaded that book onto my Kindle 2 or 3 years ago upon recommendation by a friend, but obviously was not really captivated by it (I think there was one male character whom I found really annoying) so I switched to another book and never finished it. Perhaps I should take it up again...

3/25/2019 09:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist