Thursday, November 26, 2015

Kitchen Hack: Impress Your Guests with this Quickie

I was a) hungry bordering on hangry and b) had a leftover egg and half an avocado in the fridge that I had to use up. I remembered all the pictures on Instagram of eggs baked in half an avocado and on a whim decided to skip the "baking" part but just pop it into the microwave. It was such a success that I recreated this again for guests a few days later. If you like eggs and avocado and own a microwave, this is how you do it:

Halve a ripe avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out a bit more of the flesh to create a deeper cavity. Position your avocado in an microwave-safe container that keeps it from toppling over. I used a small china bowl, as pictured. I recommend cracking the egg open and pouring it into a small milk jug for better control as unless you use very small eggs, really big avocados or have scooped out a lot, you will have too much egg white. Carefully slide the yolk and as much egg white to not have it overspill into the cavity where the pit was. Sprinkle some freshly ground salt and pepper on top and put into the microwave. Use the highest setting and set the timer to 10 seconds. If you don't have a transparent door, check the consistency after 8 or so seconds to be on the safe side if you want your egg on the runnier side. You can control the consistency by doing this in short intervals. I wanted my egg white to be firm, but the yolk still soft. Once it was done, I also added a little bit of lemon juice to season the avocado. Delicious! You can spread this on bread or eat as is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist