Sunday, October 24, 2010

New Order

Like everybody I take comfort in routine. Recently a lot has changed. When I would be in KLU (as I am now), the topmost priority would be to schedule as many visits to my maternal granny into the visit as possible. It feels really bizarre to be here and not visit her. Well, my Mum (encumbered by an arm in plaster, great timing!) will visit her grave and prepare it for All Saints later today, but needless to say that's not the kind of visit I had in mind.

In Vienna,I would drop by my great-aunt (93) every other weekend or so. Every time without fail, she would ask for my paternal grandmother (95) and I would call the latter from my mobile phone so the two of them could chat and reminisce. My great-aunt has likewise changed her adress to a permanent one at Döbling cemetary, putting a stop not only to my visits, but also to those nonagenarian con-calls.

Said granny suffered a - mild, thankfully - stroke the day before my great-aunt's funeral that left her unable to walk. She has since moved in with my parents' and now resides in the guest bedroom, nursing bed, wheelchair and all.

I sometimes find it hard to believe that it was only 6 weeks ago that I took this photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist