Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Handle with care

source: www.handmadesweaters.comAs we're approaching the end of the year, it's time to look back upon the pleasant and not so pleasant events of 2005. Not forgetting the most embarassing ones! Have you ever heard about the dumb blonde(-ish) Austrian who washed her mobile phone in the washing mashine? No? Well, now you have. I can even give you the exact date: July 7, 2005. I remember the date so distinctly because it was the day before I left for a mini-break in Manchester.

It was one of the very few hot days of this so-called summer and I'd taken my swim-stuff to the office with me, rushing to an open-air swimming pool right after work. When I got home later that night, I thought I'd better throw the filthy grey bag de jour into the washing maschine because I wanted to take it to Manchester. One of the bag's practical features is a mobile phone pocket. A rather hidden one. I meticulously emptied every single pocket apart from the one containing my phone (a Sony Ericsson T600, for the record). Or should I say, ex-phone. I put it into the washing machine with some other textile bags, set it to 40° and pressed "start".

Half an hour later I reached for my mobile which I assumed to be on the coffee table. Except it wasn't. I tried to call myself from the landline and listened to a recorded message informing me that the number I was trying to reach was currently unavailable. Oh-oh. It slowly dawned on me that I couldn't actually remember taking my phone out of the snazzy little zippered pocket of my bag. The bag which was already immerged in soap-suds. I immediately stopped the machine and had it pump out all water. Once I'd retrieved the dripping phone, noticed its fogged-up display and taken out the SIM-card, I took the baby to a shocked Turkish Delight. He gave me a look as if I'd just deliberately drowned a whole litter of cute kittens. Men and gadgets, need I say more?

To cut a long story short, the SIM card survived the aquatic adventure holiday, the phone didn't. It was incredibly clean, though and ended up as toy for TD's little nephew. If I were American, I'd probably consider class action against Hedgren bags for failing to alert me to the fact that I'd neglected to take out my phone (I mean, they could introduce a beeping sound like the one in your car when you forget to switch off your lights) or alternatively against Gorenje, the manufacturers of my washing machine...

Lunch-break-purchases: Among a whole lot of other useless memberships, I am a cardholding member of Nivea club. I'm actually not actually that impressed by their boring quarterly magazine and occasional freebies, but I just somehow never got around to cancel my subscription. In the latest edition of the boring mag I read that as a kind of symbolic advent calendar they were to offer gifts or discounts in their "club center" every day in December, today's bonus being a free bag when you purchase goods for €10 or more. I duly went to the 10th district and bought an eyeliner and shimmering powder I didn't need in order to claim my (beach-style, not bad) bag.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear his other half, the story is really a good one, thanks for sharing. i am sorry for the phone though..
anyway, it is funny :)
--such things always happen, not because you are blonde!--

12/07/2005 03:39:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Thanks for compforting me, Zeynep. I was actually hoping that Turkish "phone doctors" would be able to work their magic on it, but unfortunately not even they could kiss my poor drowned phone back to life. Ah, well.Oh, and I'm glad you don't think I need to dye my hair dark to get some (much-needed) extra brain-cells...

12/07/2005 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Mr_TD said...

The ex-phone was a T630 :-).
Who cares about the sim-card if you death-wash your 300 euro phone?
Always backup your simcard,at least twice ,if not three times.

12/07/2005 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Alright,alright, it was a T 630...But the phone actually cost only €1 (because I changed network). So there. Have I mentioned that I always want to have the last say on everything?

12/07/2005 06:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one more handbag, nothing beats reading a funny story first thing in the morning :) i hear of people losing their phones all the time, but never washing them :) if its any consolation at all, my husband thrashed his then nokia 6800 in a moment of sheer frustration when he threw it (really hard!) onto a tiled floor. the camera cracked and he was miserable for weeks! *men & their gadgets* as you say ;)

thanks for sharing!

12/08/2005 05:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist