Monday, December 05, 2005

Soundtrack

I recently had a Nick Hornby moment and decided to compile the ultimate sing-along-tape for long and boring car journeys (yes, old car, hence no CD player on board) such as the one from Vienna to my parents' which takes at least 3.5 hours, depending on the density of traffic and the number of road works en route. As flexitime is an alien concept to my (Japanese) employers, we need to (pretend to) work until 5 p.m. on Fridays, which is very unusual indeed in Austria where most people only work until lunch-time on Fridays. Be that as it may, every 2 or 3 months when I drive to KLU on Friday nights I have to try really hard not to fall asleep behind the wheel - especially in winter when it gets dark so early - and therefore desperately need some on-board-entertainment to keep me awake. As you can see from the tracklist below every other song is particularly cringeworthy and cheesy. The formula goes like this: the cheesier the song the higher the sing-along-and-stay-awake potential. Anyone old enough to remember Dreams are My Reality of La Boum fame? Need I say more? You don't want me to fall asleep on the A2, now do you?

Side A
Robbie Williams, Supreme
Kim Wilde, Kids in America
Klaus Lage, Tausendmal Berührt
Moby, Where We End
Cat Stevens, Wild World
Duran Duran, Wild Boys
the Cast of "My Best Friend's Wedding", Say a Little Prayer
the Beatles, Things We Said Today
Richard Sanderson, Dreams are My Reality

Side B
Oasis, Wonderwall
Elvis Costello, Veronica
Sportfreunde Stiller, Ein Kompliment
Pet Shop Boys, NYC Boy
Texas, Summer Son
Alphaville, Big in Japan
The Bangles, Eternal Flame
Reamonn, Supergirl
For some pics from the christmas market in front of Schönbrunn palace where we went last night together with at least 80% of Vienna's inhabitants and zillions of tourists, may I divert you to Turkish Delight's blog.

Purchases of the day: Big online shopping spree (books and CDs), all of it presents. I tried to grab a top for the upcoming office Christmas party in my lunch-break but couldn't find any to fit my two criteria, being "glam" and "inexpensive". Very frustrating. Or should this be a divine sign that I should consult my bulging wardrobe first before investing on a new piece? Naaah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist