Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Confessions of a disgruntled personal shopper

Do you perhaps need an original Christmas present for your step-twin twice removed or your third cousin-in-law and you don't have a clue what to get them? Well, don't fret, just ask me and I'll add it on to my long list of "presents to organise on behalf of others". Not.

My dear relatives are only too aware of my reputation as shopaholic/my conveniently long lunch-breaks and I've in the past been able to impress them by recommending shops for every imaginable need. I once famously recommended a shop selling wigs and hairpieces to my great-aunt. I don't know why I even noticed that shop in the first place because I thankfully don't need its products myself.

Don't get me wrong, I love selecting presents for my beloved ones as much – if not more - as I enjoy treating myself erm...occasionally and I don't mind running errands for elderly relatives who live in rural areas but the culmination of people ringing to ask me if I could get a present for other members of the clan or Turkish Delight because "you always have such great ideas and you know where to get things", expecting the full retailtherapist-package (me purchasing, wrapping and often also delivering the present to the recipient) can get a tiny little bit annoying.
In some cases, it's very difficult indeed to choose a suitable present for somebody and once I've had a brainwave I am somewhat reluctant to "give away" my brilliant idea by buying the thing on behalf of somebody else. Why don't they pick their own brains for a change? To be fair, my Mum gets to do her share of inter-familial present-planning too and she's therefore more or less the only member of my family who doesn't tap me for ideas.

With my parents both being artists, creative, self-made pressies have always ranked highest but given Dad's serious dislike of any shops which are not of the DIY-store kind (my shopaholic-genes are definitely not from the paternal side of the family) he always expects me to organise the shop-bought part of his presents for Mum. Being the clever woman she is, she of course always cops on to that and is not amused so in the weeks before Christmas or my mother's birthday I know I can expect both a plea by Dad to conjure up some nice things for Mum on his behalf and a briefing by her to please refrain from doing so as she gets really annoyed at him for not making more of an effort himself.

Let me tell you, being a personal shopper can be a very tricky task. And a thankless one, too.
Lunch-break purchases: Another visit to the Body Shop (presents this time. Well and a crucially important new eyshadow brush for myself) as today they offer a 20% reduction to store-card-holders, followed by a pit-stop at Haas&Haas, a Viennese institution, to buy some more of my new favourite tea: Rooibos with little chunks of dried pears. En route back to the office I popped into posh Meinl am Graben to buy some seed-free raspberry jam for my baking marathon tomorrow afternoon before stopping at a stationery shop to buy a 2006-refill for my Filofax and 2 nice (and over-priced) packs of christmassy napkins. Now I can finally have a calendar where to circle August 18, 2006 in red ink!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once famously recommended a shop selling wigs and hairpieces to my great-aunt.
???... I didn't know!!!

How do you get a Body Shop card? Or is it just for excessive buyers ;-)

11/30/2005 02:11:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Dear "austrian chick". Erm...could my favourite little cousin be hiding behind that pseudonym since you're so interested in the hairpiece story???
Nope, the Body Shop's "Love Your Body" card is available to anyone willing to pay €10 for the privilege.

11/30/2005 02:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be aware...little cousin is watching/reading you! Who else would be interested in that story?

So, you actually paid EUR 10 to be an official "Love Your Body"-member...

11/30/2005 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Hah! Knew it.
It was Aunt H. in L. as you might have guessed and she's no longer wearing the blonde accessory I helped her pick.
Re: Body Shop store card - you get a €10 birthday gift plus discount on purchases so it's *free*.

11/30/2005 03:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my today's lunch break purchase........errrr...it is a Canon EOS350d digital camera! Oh my God, I cannot stop doing this everytime and especially since that huge shopping center's opening just near our office building :(
by the way, I am one of the members of turkish delight's fan club ( that was what u called it as far as I remember, lol ) and i enjoy visiting your blog, it is girllyyyy :) and also reading your lunch break purchases make me feel better :) the great shopper of Istanbul, Zeynep :)

11/30/2005 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Merhaba, Zeynep,
Hosgeldin! (that means "welcome" for the non-Turkish speakers here)
Although I WAS getting a bit jealous of the fan-club Turkish Delight seemed to have recruited the second he opened his blog I don't mind as long as its members pop over to my blog occasionally, too ;0)
Istanbul is shopping nirvana!My credit card practically dissolves every time I'm let loose there...
Regarding your camera: güle güle kulan!

11/30/2005 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger Çileksuyu Sibel said...

hello there:) a girl can never have enough handbags.love ur title,love ur blog,love the way u tell..by the way i like TD's blog too,i find it so useful:)do u mind if i give u a link,as i'll be one of the followers:) love,s

11/30/2005 06:03:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Hi, Sibella,
Wow!I'm very impressed indeed by this sudden influx of emoticon-loving Turkish commenters.I'm almost afraid of what TD will want in return for his efficient promo act... Please do link and do follow, shopaholics of all nations unite! I promise to visit both your and Zeynep's site too but my Turkish is stuck at tourist-level, I'm afraid.

11/30/2005 06:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARE YOU A HOARDER?

Do you or does someone you know have difficulty throwing things away? Is your house full of unworn clothes & shoes?

We’re making a documentary about female fashion hoarders, so if you’re a happy hoarder or if things are getting out of hand, we want to hear from you. Our experts may be able to help.

Call Cher in confidence now.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7266 6950
cher@cicadafilms.com

8/16/2007 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Indrianishvi said...

Hi .. It's great to be able to read your experience. Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge about holidays. theapartmentscanggu.com

12/07/2019 10:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist