Monday, August 05, 2024

Situationship

 

The first time I heard this term, I instantly knew it was the perfect label for the non-relationship I was in on and off for about a decade (!). The other "party" called me out of the blue last week as I was eating lunch with a colleague and when I called him back we had a nice enough chat. It's funny how I can have a civil and entirely non-emotional conversation now with somebody who used to cause so much agitation that I would have spontaneous nose-bleeds and be close to nervous breakdowns several times. I guess I just grew up eventually and it is definitely among my proudest achievements not to obsess over lost causes. As I was clearing up my e-mail inbox (see previous post) I also went through my "Drafts" folder and found one draft from 2018 when I had written a long e-mail to said person explaining how much he had upset me by sulking on MY birthday because I had the audacity to answer congratulatory messages right away and spend too much time on my phone for his taste. He had  ruined the evening for me and I was as livid as I was disappointed. Well, I never pressed "send" on that novella of an e-mail and it is now deleted forever. Well done, me! Learning that you don't always need to have the last word, get what you think is closure and sneak your foot into a door that is best closed and kept locked definitely took years, but I did learn it eventually and it feels really good, let me tell you that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist