Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter Baking

When I moved out from my parents' at the age of 18, I took a ring binder with me to Vienna that I filled with a best-of of popular tried-and-tested family recipes and some more that I copied from cook books and magazines. I had previously discovered a recipe for brioche which was printed on a packet of dried yeast of the Dr. Oetker brand. It was easy to make and really delicious and so I used to make little yeasty crescents quite frequently. I had used the recipe for probably 10 years when suddenly I remembered it and decided to make "Easter nests". I

have to admit this was the only culinary activity I indulged in at my parents' this holiday - I mainly let myself be spoilt...

Now for the recipe, which I'm sure you'll find as gratifying as I do. Dried yeast is much easier to work with than fresh one, yielding just as great results in my personal opinion.

Ingredients:

400 g flour
1 pinch of salt
3/16 l milk
80 g sugar
100 g butter
2 egg yolks
1 sachet of vanilla sugar
grated zest of 1 organic lemon
1 sachet of dried yeast (21 g)

decorating sugar (optional)
_____

Combine flour, salt, sugar, lemon rind, yeast and vanilla sugar. Heat butter and milk to 37° approx. and add to the other ingredients. Add one egg yolk and knead to a (sticky) dough. Form a ball and leave to proof in a warm place for half an hour or so. I like to leave the dough in the bowl I use for mixing and cover it with a clean dishcloth which I tuck under the bowl.

Knead once more and cut the dough to whatever size you need for your crescents, braids or wreaths. Whisk the other egg yolk with some milk and brush your creations with it. Add the decorating sugar if you want. Leave to proof in a warm place for another 30 minutes.

The midday sun was perfect for proofing the dough:
Preheat the oven to 180° and bake for 15 - 30 minutes, depending on the size of the shapes you formed.

It tastes best on the same day but keeps well for 2 days or so. I recommend freezing some of it if you don't intend to eat all within the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist