Tuesday, June 17, 2008

David vs. Goliath

0:1 (onemorehandbag)Last night, even I watched the match Austria : Germany. With one eye and half an ear while reading on the sofa after swimming sans Mermaid in a deserted pool. The fact that Germany won was predictable enough, but the atmosphere in town yesterday was fun and uncharacteristically vibrand. A victory would have been historic indeed, or rather the re-enactment of a historic victory which I am old enough to remember (OMG), but being Austrians, the battle cry "Wien wird Cordoba, shalalalalaaaah*" was apparently changed into "Wir können skiiiiifahren, shalalalalaaaa**" seconds after the final whistle according to my informers who watched the game in the designated fanzone downtown.
* Vienna will be Cordoba
** We can ski

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, one of the Goliaths had his ribs broken during the match (T. Frings)...
On the whole, I had the feeling I was watching Austrian fighters attacking German soccer players ferociously... But then, I do not really know anything about soccer anyway :-)

6/17/2008 07:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved it in the stadium! In the middle of the red crowds. :-)

6/18/2008 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Novala, I saw the cool pictures you took and sent the link to my German colleague who was sitting among Austrian fans as well.

6/19/2008 10:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist