Tuesday, April 03, 2007

alive and kicking

abra kadabra (onemorehandbag) I know I promised you an update on the likely casualties resulting from my Indian experiments for yesterday but I had the day off and my broadband internet connection at home was dead for the greater part of the day.

Well, it did turn out rather nicely and the guests made the appropriate enthusiastic noises. The photo shows me preparing the main course, "butter chicken". The name is rather misleading as there is only a tiny cube of butter in the saucy bit. I'd have called it hard-to-get-by-spices-chicken instead... I think I'm actually going to include the dessert (a milky pudding with a hint of cardamom and saffron) in my repertoire.

Just as well I have Coma HQ to retire from my action-packed day off which included:
  • cleaning the living-room windows
  • meeting an insurance guy to discuss the (very impressive indeed) employee benefits that come with my new job
  • making sure that the boiler service man doesn't mess up my water temperature again (luke-warm baths are so NOT what I need)
  • picking-up a battery for my Mum's digital camera
  • giving a private English lesson
  • doing some shopping (more on that tomorrow)
  • going swimming with the Mermaid followed by dinner at my place and 2 episodes of Desperate Housewives on TV

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Indian food, but when cooking it at home, I do cheat a bit :-)

Like: I made paneer once and it was OK but we have used Feta cheese ever since :-)

Also: I love grinding spices but I prefer to use the ground ones from the supermarket if cooking during the week... and so on and so on.

The food is still tasty, even though it is not "original" anymore. At least to us.

4/03/2007 02:42:00 PM  
Blogger ka-ma said...

Glad to hear that everything went great with the dinner!

Back in the days before my move to Japan my brother and I used to cook a lot of Indian food, but didn't want to bother with grinding the spices the old fashion way, in mortar and pestle. So we confiscated a coffee grinder from my mom and bought her a new one (after she started complaining, that her coffee smells funny! ;)) That grinder served us many years just for grinding spices. It was fast and efficient and we couldn't have asked for anything better.

By the way, my favorite dessert would be Shrikhand, made with thick yogurt, honey, cardamom and pistaccio nuts. Mmmmmmm!

4/04/2007 01:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist