Wednesday, October 18, 2006

cinammon snail

cinammon everything(onemorehandbag)At the last bookclub meeting, K.'s boyfriend surprised us with decorated gingerbread hearts from the Oktoberfest in Munich. I chose one saying "Zimtschnecke" which literally means "cinammon snail" and is the name for a popular kind of pastry, but is also a term of endearment for females which I personally like a lot, not least because I passionately love cinnamon. Zimtschnecke, c'est so moi!

I regularly visit Müller's just because they sell Wrigley's Big Red chewing gum.

Apart from their Kürbiskernweckerln (pumpkinseed rolls), Zimtkrusterln are the only thing I ever buy at Anker, an otherwise rather boring bakery-chain which can be found at every street corner in Vienna. Their Zimtkrusterln (see photo) are absolutely divine. They consist of a yeasty dough interspersed with cinammon "spots" (think straciatella ice-cream) and a crunchy sugar crust. They're only moderately sweet and my idea of the perfect office breakfast. What makes them all the more precious is that a) not all Anker branches sell them and b) that they're seasonal, i.e. you can only buy them in autumn and winter. I spied the first Zimtkrusterl of the season in an Anker near Coma HQ about 2 weeks ago and immediately bought one. Bliss! And all the sweeter after long months of cold turkey.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me of something else I miss here! Now I'll be craving for Zimtkrusterl until Christmas ... ;-)

10/18/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep! Didn't know they exist. Sounds like so much moi aussi.

10/18/2006 03:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... that said, Germknodel (spelling?) is probably the best thing to come out of Austria, apart from Arnie.

10/18/2006 06:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist