Friday, September 15, 2006

SLO(w)-roasted lamb

Having survived the mother of all traffic jams in/around Ljubljana , we arrived at Grand Hotel St. Bernardin on Saturday afternoon. I immediately headed for the beach and got down to roasting my eerily white flesh a darker shade of beige. Well, actually, I did get a tan which is rather impressive for my standard. Unfortunately, I'd only packed one book so on day two was reduced to listening in on other people's conversations when not shuffling through my IPod playlist or averting my eyes from the unsightly drooping FF boobs of my deck chair neighbour. I eventually bought two Slovenian magazines, wishing I'd taken a dictionary with me. Speaking of which - I surprised myself by actually addressing the natives in their mother tongue and occasionally engaging in something remotely resembling a rudimentary conversation. Well, don't get too excited, it was along the lines of Do you sell stamps as well? and Can I pay in Euro, please? But still. I was particulary pleased that they didn't answer back in English or German...beachy (onemorehandbag) St. Bernardin, where we stayed, is halfway between Portorož proper and Piran. I'd last visited Piran with my parents almost two decades ago when we spent a night there on our way back from a holiday in Mali Losinj, Croatia. It was still as picturesque as I remembered it:
Piran (onemorehandbag)We drove home via Italy on Tuesday, stopping in Koper which neither Mum nor I had been to before. For some reason, I tend to be rather prejudiced when I hear "seaport" and only think of cranes and containers. I know that this is stupid as I've been to that other seaport, Trieste, a mere stone's sthrough away from Koper, several times and it never evoked ugly industrial images in the first place, rather intrinsically Austrian wishful thinking about back when "we" had access to the sea. In any case, Koper has a beautiful main square which was allegedly modelled upon St. Mark's Square in Venice. I did see cranes and containers too and learnt from my guide-book that all cars produced in the Far East which are intended for the central European market arrive at the port of Koper, which means that Flocki, my trusty Toyota, must have breathed in the Istrian air at some stage as well.

6 Comments:

Blogger ka-ma said...

So there was enough sun! Congrats! I am glad you enjoyed Slo-coast, droopy boobs aside! The problem with going to the coast at this time of year is that most of the young, firm flesh is gone (present parties excluded, of course!) back to work or study. So, Unfortunately, most of the hunks are just like those two from your previous post! But one usually gets unlimited supply of pre-school kids screaming, drooling and making problems all over the place. I used to hate that, but now have two of my own, so I am forced to accept it.

9/17/2006 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

ka-ma: Let's put it that way, my presence there decreased the average age of holidaymakers drastically...
alcessa: I've made the same experience, in Italy as well as in Slovenia but as my Italian is a 100 times better than my Slovenian, I don't have to resort to a helpless "??eh??" after the other person's reply.

9/18/2006 11:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a reason to move on with tecaj slovenscine, honey.

9/18/2006 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Draga Novalica, you don't give up, do you? ;-)

9/18/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Good idea, Alcessa. I'll pay you commission if you manage to find me one...

9/18/2006 05:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course NOT!!!

9/18/2006 07:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist