Monday, May 06, 2024

Scammed!

This is a cautionary tale of how you might get scammed when buying an expensive electronic device at the popular online retailer that begins with A. ... and likely other places as well. After having to return a phone I bought refurbished, which would have been my sustainable preference, I decided to buy it new from said retailer as the price difference was negligible. I'll skip the rant about the first promised delivery that didn't happen even though I had waited at home for it all day and fast forward to the Monday two weeks ago when the second one actually did happen, only not of the phone I had ordered. I had been sent a one-time code that I was supposed to give to the delivery person so they could give the parcel to me. Delivery guy rang, I typed said code into his handheld device, gave him a tip and he returned to his car...while I touched the package that felt suspiciously...bendable. I ripped it open and it contained not a phone for over 600 EUR, but a paperback I had never ordered. I quickly looked at the address label, which indeed had my address on it and then waved at the driver who was already reversing out of our lane. He stopped and I told him that I had just signed for the wrong package as I was expecting a phone, not a book and had also paid for a phone. I told him I wanted to cancel my signature and return the parcel to him, but he said that he could not do that and would let his boss know. I just managed to quickly take a picture and off he went, with the paperback. 
Dumbstruck, I realised that I had officially received my phone, but in fact I had not and would have problems proving just that. I called the hotline and explained my dilemma to the lady that answered. When I mentioned that I had taken a picture she told me to mail it to a generic e-mail-address she gave me. When I did, I received an auto-reply telling me to fill in the attached return form and return the article...which of course I did not have. After several e-mails (half of them automated canned responses) and 3 days when I did not hear from them, I wrote again and was asked once more to send a photo. When I replied that I had already done just that, just to another e-mail address, attaching the image again as well as a screenshot of my earlier e-mail I got the reply that the photo unfortunately did not meet the required specifications. I then lost my patience and told them I had involved my (fictitious) lawyer and forwarded all correspondence to them. I got my refund the following day, thankfully, but it really was an awkward situation as the scammed recipient who has paid upfront has to prove that either some underpaid logistics worker on their end or the subcontractor who delivers for them had committed theft. 
I ended up buying my new phone offline, by the way.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist