Thursday, July 16, 2015

New Toy Or Why Are Camera Cases So Effing Ugly?!

My trusty compact camera has had a blind spot on its lense since my last visit to Almaty, which triggered "project DSLR" to resurface. I had already ordered the Pentax K50 in January when Ricoh Imaging (who own Pentax) had a cashback offer, but then Amazon could not deliver on time and I cancelled my order. Well, this time it worked and I ordered this pretty baby in white + additional lens. Bag fetishist that I am, my next thought was to look for a nice protective case aka camera bag. "Nice" being the deal breaker. OMFG, have you ever done research into camera bags? Unless my web-searching/online shopping skills took a sudden plunge for the worst, the whole genre seems to be stuck in a time warp and all I could find looked like the bag equivalent of trekking sandals - dull, masculine and screaming "I'm damn practical, hence I can be as ugly as I want to, duh!". I searched some forums, which yielded links to "feminine" bags with camera pouches inside. Ok, these were comparatively easy on the eye, but made of faux leather (nowadays marketed as "vegan leather"... best marketing ploy ever), which I don't like.
Long story short, I decided to make something myself and packed a nice piece of Japanese cotton fabric I bought on my last visit to Tokyo. My Mum had all the requisite accessories for my project sitting around in her study and so I made the little cases pictured above that allow me to just pop camera and extra lens into any bag big enough to fit them. Result!
Pretty pleased with the camera's performance, too, by the way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the post, love the bag!

7/16/2015 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

In buying camera bags, I always consider it's convenience first than the looks. But if it doesn't really look good, no matter how useful or convenient it might be, I'd rather not get it lol. Bag looks cute btw.

5/14/2019 04:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist