Friday, February 03, 2012

Cold vs. Cool

image from wetter.orf.at

Temperatures in Austria are rather...fresh at the moment. I'm not complaining, however, as I a) like the winter (just like the other 3 seasons) and b) I totally agree to the statement that there is no such thing like bad weather, just unsuitable clothes.

These days I am wrapped up in my UGG boots, down coat, woollen beret, cashmere scarf and gloves and so the only parts of me that feel cold are the tip of my nose and my cheeks.

Perhaps on the occasion of my recent geriatric birthday I thought back to my teenage self that survived the harsh Austrian winter without boots (so uncool in the 1980s!), never wore a hat and preferred to leave her winter jacket or wool coat open. Buttoned up or zipped up garments were even uncooler than boots. I vividly remember only zipping up my denim jacket with faux sheepskin lining when I turned into our street and could expect my Mum looking from the kitchen window and shaking her head at the sight of her only child "half naked" in the winter frost. Cashmere jumpers or scarves were only worn by old grannies and too expensive for mere mortals anyway back then so I wore what was en vogue: baggy jeans and sweatshirts that would be considered XXL today.

I did not wear boots until this millennium and down coats were not mainstream fashion until about 6 years ago. I literally shudder in retrospect...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist