Friday, November 27, 2009

Entertainment Comes with the Job

I have been seeing a physiotherapist once a week for the past 3 months, hoping to get rid of the pain in my back or rather a spot near my left shoulder. I only get this tension after a day at work, knowing full well that sitting at my desk for hours on end, staring at two screens simultaneously does not help. Well, when I mentioned to the physiotherapist that I'm perfectly fine on weekends or on days when I have client meetings for the greater part of the day, she suggested running after work. When I told her I hated running (of the jogging variety, I don't mind sprinting for the bus or running as such), she showed me an exercise, instructing me to "squat down as if you wanted to use a not really clean loo which you didn't want to actually sit on. In that position move your arms back and forth really quicky as you would when running". As this was an easy-to-remember excercise, I decided to do this little workout behind my desk the very same day. The Gazelle who gets tense from attacking her keyboard and staring at her screen as well decided to join me, much to the Scholar's amusement. I suppose it does look quite entertaining and is somewhat reminiscent of a dance-routine that was very popular when I was a kid:

3 Comments:

Anonymous alcessa said...

Looks good!

I have the same problem and while I do manage to go jogging from time to time, I have since found out the best medicine is Nordic walking. Looks similar to what you 2 did, doesn't it?

Now, I am sure a "young" lady like me looks rather funny swinging those poles, but, ahhh, my back, especially my shoulders thank me profusely any time I treat them to some serious pole walking. Plus, I can listen to my iPod or I could talk to someone if anyone would care to join me (they don't) :-)

11/27/2009 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

I've heard wonders about Nordic Walking but as with the MBT shoes which I only wear indoors, I have to admit I have so far been too vain. I suppose it's one thing making your colleagues crack up, but another to scare away innocent bystanders...

11/27/2009 12:21:00 PM  
Anonymous alcessa said...

That's right... But let me divulge my secret: I do it in a forest nearby, after work

11/27/2009 12:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist