Friday, February 23, 2007

selective theft

I have a so called "day-subscription" for the Standard, i.e. I only get the newspaper on one day of the week. I deliberately chose Friday as this is the day when you get their free RONDO magazine. When I leave for work on Friday morning, I find the newspaper waiting for me on my doormat. So far, so theory. On the last few Fridays, however, that meant the paper minus the RONDO supplement. I suspect one of the owners of the 4 penthouses as I never had this problem before the roof was adapted for posh duplex apartments. Not wanting to get up at 5 a.m. and peek through the peephole until the RONDO-thief does his dirty deed I've contemplated writing a sarcastic poster for the notice-board. Or could it be a new advertising coup of the Standard people themselves, deliberately pissing off subscribers with a brainwave along the lines of "our supplements are so good they get stolen before YOU get the chance to lay your hands on them". Who knows.

3 Comments:

Blogger johannes said...

which reminds me, some time ago one of the tenants on the first floor of the building where i live seemed to have a similar problem. which is probably why they attached the following message to their door: "hey standard-dieb! hände weg von unserem standard!" the rhetoric device of repetition must have added to the effectiveness of this otherwise dumb poster, for in the following weeks i witnessed on my late returns home a lonely standard lying on the doormat of selfsame apartment. seems now that the thief was gone not even the subscribers wanted the newspaper anymore... strange thing, the human psyche...

2/23/2007 02:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you got any kind of a small camera? Attach it one Thursday evening (visibly) and wait... :-)

2/23/2007 03:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had the problem for a long time. I had subscribed to the Saturday edition and so many times didn't find it where I was supposed to find it: in front of my door. Each time I sent the Standard an e-mail, each time they added the missing edition to my subscription. Eventually I was fed up not getting this paper each Saturday and cancelled the subscription.

2/23/2007 04:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist