Wednesday, February 01, 2006

the Czechs are at it like rabbits

Hah! I knew I could get your attention with that title. Little perverts, you.

Last night I finally got to see Bored in Brno, or Sex in Brno, as it is called for the German market which usually gets all films with horribly unimaginative titles. In this case, however, the title is apt as the film is in fact mainly about sex. Its central characters around whose "first time" the story evolves are a bit challenged on the looks and intelligence front with the female protagonist having really scary teeth that would give Austin Powers a run for his money. Despite all orthodontic and intellectual obstacles, the pair does get laid (sorry for the spoiler) in the end, as does basically everybody else who appears in the film. I don't know if you could call it an example of "Slavic humour", but I quite like that kind of laconic narration. Plus it was funny to see a film set in Brno which is more or less round the corner from Vienna. I'm not sure I like the fact that it was in black and white as it wasn't like the old-school black and white films - as in pre-technicolour - at all when all the contrasts were really sharp. It somehow looked quite fuzzy (then again that might have been deliberate), a bit like when you get black and white prints developed from a colour film. Not bad, but different. It took my eyes a good 30 minutes to adapt to the blurredness.

Tomorrow I'm going to see the Constant Gardener. Ralph Fiennes: drool.

Yet another purchase-free lunch-break as I had a lunch-date which included reveiving some more belated birthday presents. I got two Hello Kitty! bags (one I already had so it will be exchanged. Before you fear for my sanity, it's a kind of for-grown-ups range) and a set of anti-aging creams. They were supposed to be a joke but are very welcome all the same. No need for Polyfilla yet but you can't start too early, now can you?

2 Comments:

Blogger ka-ma said...

So you finally managed to persuade Mr. TD to go with you! Or did he? As far as the Slavic humor goes ...I always thought Czechs (and probably Serbs) are a class on their on. Slovenian humor is more of a "graveyard variety"!

2/02/2006 02:39:00 AM  
Blogger onemorehandbag said...

Yes, I did see it with TD (who liked it) at the low-tech cinema down the road. The only contemporary Slovenian film I've seen is Kajmak in marmelada and there certainly is a "graveyard" element there. However, a colleague from our Ljubljana branch (who by the way gave me the DVD of the above film) really bonded with a Czech-born employee of Coma HQ because of their common "Slavic humour" as he put it...

2/02/2006 08:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker

words and photos (unless otherwise indicated) and banner-design by retailtherapist